VASTU IN THE 21ST CENTURY:
Though there are numerous people today who understand the importance of building a structure as per vastu, there are still many who feel that it makes little or no sense in today's fast paced, modern lifestyle. Whether or not one shrugs off the exotic sounding concepts or consider the ancient art of building worthy of delving deeper depends on who you are and how much you have read on the subject. Also Vastu has been given a bad rap by bogus coffee table books, do-it yourself practioners and self proclaimed gurus whose intentions may not be bad but who are not peddling the best information. Therefore before we dismiss the teachings of Vastu as just a gimmick, we should first educate ourselves about the importance of Vastu and the role it plays in today's society.
"Modern Society" is a time bomb and this is clear for all of us to see. The blind materialism, high levels of stress and crime are only leading us to our extinction. It is therefore necessary that we awaken to the gifts of practical solutions.
The aim of Vastu is to maximize the generation and accumulation of positive energy and to minimize the negative energy. The inmates occupying a structure where positive energy overrides negative energy will benefit in all walks of life. However if these energies are not properly synchronized they may have adverse effect on the inmates. Just like if one was to eat junk food all the time though he may live but his body cells will wear out fast.
In order to generate and accumulate this positive energy in a closed structure Vastu lays down certain principles. It emphasis an intelligent use of the 5 basic elements i.e Wind, Water, Earth, Light, Space and the 4 directions i.e. North, South, East, West. One cannot see energy with naked eye however we can realize its application in different forms and fashions. A House or for that matter any building has an energy field because nature is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and Omniscient. This energy field if utilized properly can help the inmates in every walk of life. At the end of the day what one needs to remember is that Vastu was developed for the benefit of Human Race and it's inclusion in our daily lives will help us and our generations.
IMPLEMENTING VASTU PRINCIPLES
The principles of Vastu can be applied on any closed structure. Though the basics remain the same; yet depending upon whether the structure is used for residential, commercial, industrial or any other use, the criteria for allocation of rooms may differ. Seeking Vastu consultation only when one experiences any downfall in life is not the right approach. In order to reap the true benefits of Vastu one should try and adhere to the Vastu principles right from the inception of the building. The following are a few guidelines one usually adheres to while recommeding Vastu Complaince:
SELECTION OF A PLOT
- The Magnetic North of a plot of land: It is Important to establish the exact North of any plot before proceeding as the entire workings of Vastu Shastra depend on the same
- Division of plot into 16 directions: means of mathematical calculations the plot is divided into 16 directions, which constitute all the important aspects of a man’s life. Depending upon these directions the rooms are further allocated
- The Character of soil: Depending upon the color, smell, taste and texture of the soil of a plot it is established what kind of structure is best suited for it or if it is of any use at all
- Environment and surroundings: Avoiding surroundings that have any graveyard/sewage/giant trees/temples etc is always recommended.
- Slope of the plot: The plot should slope from South to North and from West to East. That is to say that the North should be depressed and South elevated.
- Size and shape of the plot: The plots can be of various shapes and sizes, though it is preferred to stick to the usual Square and Rectangular shape.
- Projections and Extensions: Haphazard and mindless construction can lead to certain alterations, which are never beneficial. They can lead to a number of problems and therefore one has to be careful before carrying out anykind of renovation work in form of projections and extentions.
- Obstruction to the plot: Any kind of obstruction whether from inside or from outside the plot needs to be taken into account. For e.g. A structure constructed close to a flyover or railway track can experience some kind of an ill effect. Therefore it is essential to take care of any such defect.
VASTU PRINCIPLES FOR EXTERIORS
- Open Spaces like Verandhas, Balconies, Porches: These days due to shortage of space everyone is in a bid to occupy as much built in area as possible. However, what one does not realize is that even the building needs to breath. With little or no open space the building will yield more negative energies than positive. Vastu determines which area and how much should be left open in order to give the inmates maximum benefits.
- Proportion of the building: Again lopsided construction will yield only lop sided results. It is therefore essential to know the exact proportion in which the building should be contructed vis a vis the plot size
- Ground level: It is more or less the same as the Slope Level.
- Roofing: It is important to remember that the roof should slope towards North & North East
- Building Height: The height of the building can be either equal on all sides or more raised on the Southern sides
- Cellars and Basements: One cannot utilize the entire floor under the building as a basement. How much area needs to be left untouched is important.
- Staircases: Both the direction and the position of staircases in any structure are important
- Overhead and Underground Water Tanks, Swimming Pools, Septic Tanks, Bore Well: The right position of all these is important. Placing them in a wrong directions can have adverse effects on health, finances or overall well-being.
- WC’s: One has to be very careful in positioning the WC’s in their exact direction. But even if they are built in the right directions keeping them clean is of utmost importance.
- Main entry gate Depending upon; in which of the 16 directions the Main entry gate is located will define its implications.
VASTU PRINCIPLES FOR INTERIORS
- Planning the rooms of a building as per the 16 directions.
- Color combination of walls/upholstery/drapery etc.
- Placement of mirrors.
- Sitting arrangement, esp. in an office complex or commercial building
- Positioning of furniture
- Placing Vastu objects facing the right directions.